2010/04/18

Internet Explorer 6? Hell no!

Are you still using IE6? Then you might be doing your computer more harm than good. As I've been building my online portfolio, I've had slight troubles with IE6 compatibility. Which has lead me to search the internet to know if it's still worth it to accommodate the 9% of IE6 users. I've discovered a few disturbing things... A lot of people are sticking to it because they have slower systems. In that case, I recommend getting Google Chrome. IE6 has many vulnerabilities not to mention that is not W3C compliant.

This CNET article states the problems caused by the insistence of the UK government to stick with IE6.
"Why ditch IE 6? Security is one big reason, but another is support for newer Web design technologies that let Web developers do more with sites and maintain sites more easily. Performance is another: newer browsers are much better at running Web-based JavaScript programs that handle everything from governing minor aspects of a page to full-on applications and graphical interfaces."
Even the developers at Digg are considering dropping all IE6 Support and YouTube already announced that it will do so. Google, after being a victim of an attack exploiting an IE6 flaw, is now urging everyone to upgrade or switch their browsers. Even Microsoft is advertising the IE upgrades all over their site and urges users to upgrade.

Every time I switch to IE6 to test something either at home or at work, it pains me to see how unrefined everything looks. Not to mention I put my computer at risk every time I launch it.The fonts look especially choppy and are harder to read. What's the point of a nice graphic card and an HD monitor if you are to use IE6?

Here I sit with this dilemma, should I really spend hours of my free time making my site compliant with a old and extremely flawed browser? The more I think of it, the more I feel like joining the movement.

------------

Vous utilisez encore IE6? Vous causez probablement beaucoup de tort à votre ordinateur. Alors que je construit mon portfolio en ligne, j'ai eu des petits pépins quant à la compatibilité avec IE6. D'où ma réflexion pour savoir si ça vaut la peine d'accommoder 9% des internautes. J'ai découverts quelques faits inquiétants... Beaucoup de gens refusent de mettre à jour leur fureteur car leur système n'est pas assez performant. Dans ce cas, je vous recommande de télécharger Google Chrome. IE6 comportent plusieurs vulnérabilités et il n'est pas conforme au W3C.

Cet article de CNET décrit les problèmes causés par le refus du gouvernement britannique de changer de fureteur. La sécurité, la performance et les nouvelles technologies sont au cœur du débat. Même les développeur chez Digg considèrent ne plus prendre en compte le fureteur désuet et YouTube a déjà annoncé qu'ils le feront. Google, après avoir été victime d'une attaque exploitant une faille d'Internet Explorer, incite maintenant tous les internautes avertis de mettre à jour leur version d'IE ou bien de carrément changer de fureteur. Même le site de Microsoft prône la mise à jour du fureteur.

À chaque fois que je test mon site dans IE6 soit chez moi ou au travail, ça me tue de voir à quel point la page semble froide et sans raffinement. N'oubliant pas que j'expose mon ordinateur à des risques inutiles à chaque fois que je lance l'application. Les typos ont l'air brutes ce qui rend le texte plus difficile à lire. À quoi bon avoir une carte graphique de pointe et un écran haute résolution si on utilise IE?

Me voici avec ce dilemme : devrais-je passer des heures de mon temps libre pour rendre mon site compatible avec un fureteur désuet et faillible? Plus j'y pense, plus je songe à me joindre à la coalition.

No comments: